Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Le Lobster Bisque at Le Dog is Legit

Le Dog had been one of those places that I’d been meaning to get to for a long time, but I could just never find the time to make it there. That is partly due to their brief hours, only open during the week for a couple hours for lunch. The stars finally aligned a couple weeks ago when I had a day off of work, which turned out to be a blisteringly cold winter day where a hot bowl of soup would fit the bill perfectly.

At first glance, Le Dog appears to be a bare-bones hot dog stand on an awkward stretch of Liberty St. in Ann Arbor that isn’t quite on campus isn’t quite downtown either. The hot dogs are not the main attraction at Le Dog though, the tiny shack produces some of the best soup in the city.

lots of soup for you
The star of the show is the lobster bisque – available only on Thursdays and Fridays. At $7 for a bowl, plus $1 for your choice of Zingerman’s bread – a pretzel roll or crusty paesano roll – it is well worth a trip in the cold and is one of the best bang-for-your-buck lunches you’ll find. You’ll want the bread so soak up the addicting broth (next time I will splurge an extra $1 for another hunk of the paesano). There are a handful of chunks of lobster meat swimming around in the broth as well. With my birthday coming up, I might have to devise a way to get a big bowl of bisque and about 3 mini-loaves of the paesano bread for my birthday dinner.



Le Dog
410 East Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI

2 comments:

  1. Tony, I know they get hyped for the bisque, but their other soups are pretty amazing. I recommend the chicken tortillia and there's a noodle soup that makes rare appearences on the menu. I forget it's name but it's something like Udon Noodles. Worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^^ Peanut udon. That is very good. His central European dishes, when the appear, are astonishing. Try Chicken paprikash, Austrian lentil soup, Alsatian cabbage soup. Goulash. Jules is a treasure. And as for the lobster bisque, I was recently in New England and went to a hotel with a famous dining room, where I had lobster bisque. It was good. Then I came back to Ann Arbor and had Le Dog's. It was even a notch better.

    ReplyDelete