Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Crayfish Wars: The Neighbors Strike Back

My previous attempt at catching crayfish at the lake at our cottage earlier this summer did not go well. Apparently unimpressed with my trapping efforts, the neighbor kids – and “meat candy” fans – decided to take matters literally into their own hands. I arrived late on a Friday night and saw a couple flashlights down near the docks – the kids were in the water pulling crayfish out of the rocks by hand. I guess it’s like the kids say – YOLO. By the following morning, they had captured 13 of the mud bugs. I was surprised at how big some of them were.

As I started boiling up a pot of water with a heavy dose of Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning, I had several skeptical relatives and neighbors waiting nearby, snickering at the thought of eating these guys.



"yewwwwwww." ~Mrs. T
Attitudes started changing once they got a little taste of the tailmeat doused in the spicy creole broth. Unless the crayfish come off the invasive species list and the DNR allows them to be commercially sold, I don’t think we’ll ever be able to do a full boil, so the appetizer portion will have to do for now. After this, at least It know I won’t be the only one complaining about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment